Minutes July 8, 2017
Minutes July 8, 2017
from Gwen Marshall, Hamilton County Green Party Co-Chair
Notes from Saturday, July 8, 2017 10:00 am to noon Ohio Green Party Call - Approved during 9/9/17 call
1. Attendance & Quorum - 9 needed to have quorum for voting as of 5/6/17
District 2: Present: Anita Rios Absent: Alexandra Kendzierski, Monika Perry, Joe DeMare
District 3: Absent: Logan Martinez, Tim Bruce
Districts 4: Present: Gwen Marshall, Don Rucknagel, Dorsey Stebbins, Nathaniel Lane
District 6: Present: Robert Fitrakis, Suzanne Patzer, Tekla Taylor-Lagway (checked in 11:05), Connie Gadell Newton
District 8: Absent: Jim Villani
District 9: Present: Stephen Caruso
District 11: Phil Mohorich- resigned as of 7/7/17 by email
Also added into Quorum as of 5/6/17 when officially formed & recognized
Black Caucus - Absent: Philena Farley <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Youth Caucus - present: Samuel Richards <email@example.com>
Kevin Fay - guest on the call: from Summit County (currently a registered Democrat but will vote in the Green Party Primary in 2018) working with those interested in forming a new county committee email address KevinMFay@hotmail.com
Also invited to participate to call but not counted towards quorum:
Jake Ellis, Director of Party Development <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Becca Calhoun, Deputy Treasurer <email@example.com>
2. Minutes approval needed for June 10, 2017 - approved with no objections
3. Financial report - Tekla Treasurer & Becca Calhoun Deputy Treasurer
Tekla signed in at 11:05 AM - current balance $4,592.58 after outstanding check and deposits go through. Also at the July meeting committed for $150 if requested for each of 5 people to travel to the Green Party U.S. Convention. Another $50 was committed for Facebook boost. Also $200 was committed for a loan for downpayment for the venue for the Enter the Green Discussion of 2017 Green Party Annual Meeting in Newark, New Jersey, July 13-16. (register at: https://store11450281.ecwid.com ) Ohio transportation & lodging logistics & list of who is planning to attend. This is a $1000 commitment from the treasury. Anyone who wants to accept the $150 to help defray the cost of travel to the National Green Party Convention should email Tekla (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating (1) that they wish to accept the $150 to help with cost of travel to the Convention and (2) send her their mailing address. Likewise, the person to whom the check for downpayment for the venue should be written should email Tekla with her/his mailing address.
At this meeting commitment was made for $150 if requested for another 2 people to travel to the Green Party U.S. Convention. This makes a total of up to $1050 potentially committed for travel to that Convention.
4. Officer & Committee Chair Reports - if new information only
a) Co-Chairs- no report
b) National Campaign Committee-
Official Ohio delegates are: Don Rucknagel, Logan Martinez & Philena Farley and alternate: Anita Rios & added at OHGP-CC June 2017 meeting: Nathan Lane & Jake Ellis. Is there more that needs to be done to allocate the 3 votes Ohio has for this Convention? Connie made a motion that “the voting members at the Convention be: Don, Philena & Anita since they are attending the Convention. We are still keeping the others as alternates for the Convention and Logan would return to being the official delegate after the convention.”
At our June Meeting, “It was agreed, with no objections, that we would offer up to 5 people up to $150 each if they requested the subsidy and attend the Conference.” Who wants to apply for this money?
During the July meeting, we agreed to fund up to 7 people instead of just 5:
Connie, Anita, Philena, Kevin Fay, Jake Ellis, Samuel, Don.
Tekla pointed out that, “Seven people at $150 would be $1,050.” An email was sent to all of the above listed folks to tell them to Email their mailing address to both Connie email@example.com & Tekla firstname.lastname@example.org to have the checks cut.
Nathan said that he may try to go but has not been able to confirm due to finances and work obligations. Philena is driving a van from Columbus and can take riders to share expenses.
c) marijuana committee - no report
4. Candidate Reports:
Governor campaign- needs and update
- I could use some help compiling information of Green supporters and sending them out a letter or email requesting donations, letting them know I am running, and asking for support. I have a draft letter ready but need help sending it out.
- I need Greens from around the State to be thinking about events I can attend, planning fundraisers and speaking events, and keeping me informed about things I should be attending around the State. It would be great to have some mini-campaign teams working in different parts of the State on my campaign combined with local campaigns.
- I would love it if someone else in the group would move to allocate funds for my campaign. I have received about $1500 in donations so far and this money has gone towards T-shirts, campaign buttons, and flyers to hand out at events. I would be using the funds to purchase more postcard flyers to hand out during events and canvassing, and to plan a simple fundraiser at a local bar or establishment.
- I plan to choose my running mate soon and meet up with him later in July to get the petitions ready by August. It would be good to plan some canvassing events in August around the State to gather signatures.
- I am considering Brett Joseph to be my running mate, and I have sent his resume to the listserv. I met with him in person and I believe he will represent the party well.
- Jake Ellis asked how to get list compiled at ComFest. Connie said she will try to find out who has it.
- List of 2017 Ohio Green Party endorsed candidates: (County Committee reps & working committee members, put in all names and useful information you currently have so you don’t have to add this during the meeting.)
Devin Branch- East Cleveland, Mayor
Beverly Keeing Elwazani for Bowling Green City Council
Carolyn Kawecka for Bowling Green City Council
4th of July or other Parade &/or campaign reports:
Hamilton County Green Party and out-of-town participants in the Northside, Cincinnati 4th of July Parade - partial group picture taken after Parade.
Stephen Dodge, State Rep Dist 26
April Kemp, State Rep Dist 96- 2017 candidate reports: - no other reports given
- List of 2018 Ohio Green Party potentially to be endorsed candidates: (County Committee reps & working committee members, should put in all names and useful information you currently have so you don’t have to add this during the meeting.)
Constance Gadell-Newton- Governor, with likely running mate Brett Joseph Lt. Gov.
Bob Fitrakis, tbd
Philena Farley tbd
Joe Manchik- US Rep Dist ___
Joe DeMare, State Senate
Bijan Nader Sharifi, US Rep Dist 3
Samuel Richards, State Rep Dist 18
Adam Hickey, US Rep Dist 14
Paul Curry, State Treasurer
Mark Gooding, State Rep Dist 65 (Clermont County) (Mark is currently a Democrat and will become a Green in 2018 in the Primary election)
Kirk Jordan State Rep
Shalom Keller, US Rep - Ohio 1st District
Reports from other State Central Committee Officers - no new information reported
5. Working committee reports: -
A. Political Director - Joe - not on the call - emailed report: Posted by: "Joe DeMare" email@example.com woodcountygreen Date: Sat Jul 8, 2017
I apologize to the Committee for missing today's meeting.
A few corrections to the minutes: I am not planning to run for State Senate at this time. In addition to the 2017 candidates listed are Beverly Keeing Elwazani and Carolyn Kawecka, both running for Bowling Green City Council.
Political Director's Report 7/17
I created a video for candidates on petition gathering. I posted it on facebook, it's had 370 views. I would like to create a Ohio Green Party youtube channel. Unless there are objections, I'll do that this week.
Still working with Jake on thank you emails to the donors to our mass emailing, and a follow up email to the edited email list with the "Unsubscribes" removed. (NOTE TO CONNIE: I uploaded that edited email list to the list serv over a month ago, you should be able to find it in the emails from GPOH, contact me if you can't)
Marched in the Cincinnati Pride parade, and helped gather petition signatures for Kit Earles afterwards. Posted video on facebook.
Have been working with Julie and Adam Hickey on setting up campaign accounts, etc.
Have answered National Green Party requests for information on Ohio candidates for 2017.
We've started door to door canvassing for the BG City Council candidates. Passed out fliers at the 4th of July fireworks, and have almost completed website for Beverly.
Hope to have the statewide postcard mailing done this week. That will give all the registered Greens notice of the state wide meeting in August as well as appeal for funds.
B. Director of Party Development - Jake Ellis
- Adam Hickey and his partner are starting a party in Lake County, Mentor Ohio. Jake is asking help from State Central Committee to promote their initial event.
C. Digital Media Coordinator - Website Volunteer Update - Philena - not on call
Proposal (Nathan) to select or appoint 5 volunteers to act as regional social media leads, similar to what we did in the Jill Stein campaign. These would be a social media subcommittee reporting to Philena. Nathan proposed: Nathan, Kevin, Stephen, the other two to be chosen later. Connie suggested that we table this proposal until Philena could be contacted on this. Nathan is to contact Philena and check whether she’s okay with this.
D. Policy Advisor - also not a filled position, like what Bob has been doing with the Stein Campaign and said that he is able to do this sort of thing for Ohio as the Co-Chair. He is doing this on an interim basis - no report not on call
E. Volunteer Coordinator - Nathan Lane
F. Press Secretary - Phil Mohorich - resigned by email on 7/7/17 and needs to be replaced both as the Press Secretary & the Social Media report:
First it was agreed that Phil would be very hard to replace since he had done such a great job:
- It was suggested that Nathan could at least give the Social Media report & he will talk to Philena about this as well as get needed information from Phil.
- Kevin Fay said that he could lead on the Press Releases and Anita volunteered to work on this as well as an equal partner.
- Nathan offered to send releases out and Bob & Suzanne said they could review what is written, as should other Executive Comm. members.
- It was agreed to ask that Phil send his Press Release contact list to Nathan, Kevin & Anita.
Tekla: Phil was a great press person. Not only did he write excellent press releases, but he was extremely aware of Green Party values and extremely aware of what was happening politically throughout Ohio. He will be very difficult to replace.
Reports from other counties or statewide: - if new information only
6. Old Business:
1) Summer in person meeting: Location: Cuyahoga Falls Library on Saturday, August 26th. Facility confirmed for 11:30 to 5:00 room booked.
12-1:30 central committee meeting 2:30 - 4:30 general meeting.
We would still use the Google Doc (Gwen & Connie will work on these notes along with anyone else who can help) & Phone call (Steven will set up recording as usual) and we would keep official notes for the noon to 1:30 portion of the meeting then there would be a break and potluck lunch, and then program for larger group from 2:30 - 4:30. Notes would still be taken for the later meeting for information and planning purposes.
The planning committee will be working on a more concrete agenda which they will report back to the listserve after the national convention.
2) Appointments to Central Committee - no new added
Update on County’s reporting to their BOE and to the GPO-CC secretary. Nothing new to report
7. New Business -
1) Ballot status: Discussion on how and whether the Ohio Green Party could regain ballot status if it is lost in 2018 by failing to get 3% of the vote in the gubernatorial election in 2018. Is it correct that then in order to get on the ballot in 2020 we would have to obtain at least 28,000 valid signatures, at least 500 in each of 44 counties? If so, how many members of this committee believe that is doable? There was a discussion on Party Status if the 3% was not achieved, regarding the possibility that a lawsuit could be successful; Bob stated that based on the Libertarian Court Decision, it was not likely we’d be successful in a lawsuit.
2) Phil Mohorich resigned and so we did appoint a Press Secretary Committee and we would still like to find someone to take his place on the central committee from his district
Resignation letter: Stepping away Posted by: "Phil M" firstname.lastname@example.org philmohorich
Date: Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:16 pm ((PDT))
I have given it much thought and find that my enthusiasm for being actively involved is waning. No particular reason, just not as excited as in years past. I feel it would be unfair to the Party and the Central Committee to maintain my role at this time given my distinct lack of motivation.
I am hereby resigning my role as both Press Secretary and as a member of the Central Committee, effective immediately.
I feel the Party is on firm footing heading forward and think that the influx of new interest this year will be beneficial in the long term. I just do not have it in me to continue as an active contributor.
I have enjoyed my time on the State CC and as Press Secretary and prior as Treasurer, but I am happy with my decision to step away.
Best of luck to all, especially Connie and the other candidates running.
I think the twitter account, which I currently administer could be handled easily by Philena should she want to take it over.
As soon as someone steps into the roles of twitter administrator and Press Secretary, I will email them the info needed, such as the press list and the twitter account info.
Thanks again for the opportunity to work with you all and best of luck now and in the future.
3) Kenny Sanders (Green Party member in Summit County) has put up a fundraising page for Nina Turner for Governor. It does not appear to comply with campaign finance law. How can the CC address this issue.
Green Party For Nina Turner Rewards Ceremony
Akron Green Party For Nina Turner
https://www.facebook.com/help/www/399224883474207 report intellectual property info on FB
Conclusion: Co-chairs will send a letter (friendly) explaining what kinds of rules there are regarding campaign finance and this is why he should take this Facebook Page down for his own protection & the other above listed folks who volunteered to make personal contacts will do so as well.
(Background History: Summit County has been delayed in setting up an Official Green Party
Central Committee because its most active members are still officially Democrats (ex Kevin Fay) and Kenny Sanders is the only actual registered Green Party member in the group trying to set up a Green Party Central Committee in Summit County. In the future, when these Democrats can vote in the Green Party Primary, they can then be appointed to the County and State Committees soon after the Primary election, in the case of Summit County, we’d need to know if the person was in the 5th or 7th District before they could be appointed to the State Committee.)
Announcements: - none
8. Next meeting date - Saturday, August 12th. Usual time 10:00 AM and this meeting will cover final details for the August 26th.
9. Adjourn: 12:09.