fbpx August 12, 2017 State Central Committee Meeting Minutes | Ohio Green Party


August 12, 2017 State Central Committee Meeting Minutes

August 12, 2017 State Central Committee Meeting Minutes

Meeting minutes

Notes from Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:00 AM to 1:30 Ohio Green Party Call


1. Attendance & Quorum  - 9 needed to have quorum for voting

District 2:  Present:  Anita Rios, Joe DeMare, Absent: Alexandra Kendzierski, Monika Perry,

District 3:  Present:  Logan Martinez, Absent Tim Bruce

Districts 4: Present: Gwen Marshall, Don Rucknagel, Dorsey Stebbins, Nathaniel Lane

District 6:  Present: Robert Fitrakis, Suzanne Patzer, Tekla Taylor-Lagway, Connie Gadell Newton

District 8:   Absent:  Jim Villani

District 9:  Present Stephen Caruso (came on at 11:24)

District 11:   


Also added into Quorum as of 5/6/17 when officially formed & recognized

Present: Black Caucus - Philena Farley  <philena30@gmail.com>  

Present: Youth Caucus - Samuel Richards  <ogpyouthcaucus@gmail.com>

Women’s Caucus

Lavender Caucus

Latinx Caucus

Disability Caucus


Also invited to participate in call but not counted towards quorum:

Not present: Jake Ellis,  Director of Party Development <jake.anthony.e91@gmail.com>

Not present: Becca Calhoun, Deputy Treasurer <beccacalhoun@att.net>

Present:  Kevin Fay -  from Summit County (currently a registered Democrat but will vote in the Green Party Primary in 2018) working with those interested in forming a new county committee  email address KevinMFay@hotmail.com


2. Minutes for July 8, 2017 meeting - Held off until everyone reads them


3. Financial report   - Tekla Treasurer & Becca Calhoun Deputy Treasurer - $2746.00 in bank account and PayPal account when uncashed checks clear and check deposit made.


Connie G-N wanted national convention travel reimbursement check written to her campaign but it is not a campaign donation, it is personal travel reimbursement.  

Connie G-N campaign wants to pay for a MailChimp account at $70/month and donate it In-Kind to the Ohio Green Party. Question: can a candidate campaign share a MailChimp account with a state Party?

Possible decision: Connie G-N campaign will claim In-Kind $70 or $35 as a donation to the Ohio Green Party.


4. Officer & Committee Chair Reports - no new information reported


a)  Co-Chairs -  no report


b)  National Campaign Committee- Logan reported that he sent out an email on the Peace Committee and he want to be on the Committee and so does Don & Nathan - this matter was addressed in New business.  

Logan said that $500 per candidate is available for application from the National Green Party - Nathan said that he sent that information out to most of the Ohio Candidates by Facebook yesterday.


c)  Marijuana committee - still has not met according to Logan.   Bob reported that Mary Jane is writing an article for the next Free Press.  Folks interested in joining a conference call: (suggested that Mary Jane be on the call) Logan, Nathan, Kevin, Bob, Tekla.      


4.  Candidate Reports:


Connie has sent out a flyer and petitions for people to print and sign.  Brett Joseph (from NE Ohio) Running mate and Connie have an August 22nd fund raiser in Columbus.  Brett also has an assistant who is helping him with this campaign and Connie has a guy running her Twitter Page.  She is trying to get out to as many Counties as possible to support local candidates this year.  She would like to focus on places like Athens & Yellow Springs which has had a high Green Party vote count but no formal organization.  Connie’s campaign currently has $1,400 in the bank.  


Samuel Richards - proposed  that $1,000 be put from GPO funds towards Connie’s campaign for Governor now as a way to really jump start the campaign which already has a PAC, running mate and signatures collecting started.  The issue needing this early money now is that 3% of the vote is needed for this candidate to retain ballot status for the Ohio Green Party is the reason this is being promoted as being so important to the Ohio Green Party as coming from its PAC.  - Samuel withdrew his proposal and said he would bring it back next month with the note that we need to support the most viable candidate for Governor due to the need to get the 3%.


Logan said that he wanted to re-introduce the proposal for $500, saying that the OHGP can endorse at any point it wishes.  He would especially like to see a good flyer be printed to help with the signature gathering.  


Vote on the amendment to give $500 to a future viable candidate:  - passed

Anita Rios - yes

Joe DeMare - yes

Logan Martinez - no

Gwen Marshall - no

Don Rucknagel - not on call at that time

Dorsey Stebbins - no

Nathaniel Lane - no

Robert Fitrakis - yes

Suzanne Patzer - yes

Tekla Taylor-Lagway - yes

Connie Gadell Newton - abstain

Philena Farley -no

Samuel Richards - yes


Vote on giving $500 to Connie’s Governor Campaign right now and to any future viable candidate. - passed

Anita Rios - yes

Joe DeMare - yes

Logan Martinez - yes

Gwen Marshall - yes

Don Rucknagel - not on call at that time

Dorsey Stebbins - abstain

Nathaniel Lane - yes

Robert Fitrakis - no

Suzanne Patzer -no

Tekla Taylor-Lagway - no

Connie Gadell Newton - abstain

Philena Farley - abstain

Samuel Richards - yes


Samuel requested that $150 of new money from the state be given to the Youth Caucus to be spent towards the August state meeting.  Joe said that this is something that the State Committee can do without channeling new / additional funds through the Youth Caucus towards the State meeting.  (The venue itself is free.)  


After discussion, two proposals were made and voted on.  1) $50 from GPOH would be allotted for flyers to hand out locally where the meeting is happening.  2) $50 from GPOH for social media advertising for the event which Philena said that she would do specific targeting and that she is not ready on this; Joe, as Political Director, to do this promotion.


1st vote (column 1) was $50 to give to the local to market:   not passed

2nd vote (column 2) was $50 from state money to promote the event by Joe through his job as Pol. Director - passed

Anita Rios - abs         - abs

Joe DeMare - no        - yes

Logan Martinez - yes        - yes

Gwen Marshall - no        - no

Stephen Caruso - yes        - yes

Dorsey Stebbins - no        - no

Nathaniel Lane - no        - yes

Robert Fitrakis - no        - yes

Suzanne Patzer -no        - yes

Tekla Taylor-Lagway - abs    - yes

Connie Gadell Newton - yes    - yes

Philena Farley - no        - yes

Samuel Richards - yes        - yes

Don Rucknagel - no        - yes



Reports from other State Central Committee Officers -  none given


2017 candidate reports:


5.  Working committee reports:


A.   Political Director - Joe

Ohio Green Party Political Director Monthly Report for July 2017

--Sent out statewide postcard mailing, asking for donations, recruiting candidates and publicizing Aug 26th meeting.

--Created Youtube Channel for Ohio Green Party and uploaded "how to" petitioning video

--Worked with Jake and Connie on follow up fundraising email. Connie has created mailchimp account we can use.

--Worked with Kevin on press release for August 26th meeting. He is starting to grow the press list.

---Sent email for Adam Hickey to everyone on email list living in his district advertising Lake County organizational meeting.

---Started recruiting volunteers for petitioning for Connie.

---Continued to recruit candidates for 2018, Ohio House and Senate

---Did flyering and door to door for Beverly Elwazani in Bowling Green

---Gave advice and encouragement to candidates and potential candidates

---Have list of all public television stations in Ohio, intend to send out letters insisting that we are included in any televised debates, pointing out that televising ONLY Republicans and Democrats violates the law by acting in a partisan manner.

---Financial -- Has requested $25 reimbursement, as his use of his $25 monthly budget, for the Ohio Green Party’s share of the purchase of the $50 Vegas movie maker software program used to make the petitioning video.

August Goals:

---Publicize and attend August Statewide meeting.

---Decide on running again for US Senate

---Continue to help with local candidates as requested

---Send letter to public television stations

---Increase size of press list

---Put out fires

---Recruit more 2018 candidates


Orally reported that he had spent money last month on the video software.  He has already requested reimbursement for this from his $25 monthly allocation.  


B.   Director of Party Development - Jake Ellis - not on the call


C.   Digital Media Coordinator - Website Volunteer Update - Philena - has been cleaning up the login process for the Ohio Green Party.  

She requested to be on the National Green Party Media Committee http://gpus.org/committees/media/

- no objections were raised so Philena is now the official Ohio Representative to the national Green Party Media Committee.


She said that they are in the process of cleaning up the national communications system with the difference between the list servers and forums.  Anita stated that she does not think that the problem is that there are too many people on the national Green Party listserve; the problem is ill will and bad manners.


Nathan proposed that we create a Media Subcommittee.  

Text of the proposal:  Social media subcommittee proposal

I propose that we create a subcommittee to handle coordination and improvement of our social media messaging to the public. This committee would have 5 regional leads, modeled on the same 5 regions we utilized during the campaign. This committee would be reporting directly to Philena, and would hold monthly meetings. Each regional lead would also have the liberty to assemble their own regional teams of social media administrators. All leads would be granted admin access to regional FB, Twitter or whatever official social media profiles they see fit to utilize. This committee would also make monthly reports to the state CC to keep them up to date on our progress.


This was approved after being read at the August 12th meeting knowing that Nathan would enter the official text of his proposal in these notes.  


D.  Policy Advisor  -  no report


E.   Volunteer Coordinator - Nathan Lane - no new information


F.   Press Secretary - Kevin Fay reported that he is working on compiling a larger media contact list.  He would like more locals to send this information to him.  Philena asked that she be given press releases to put on the web page

From July minutes:

  • Kevin Fay said that he could lead on the Press Releases and Anita volunteered to work on this as well as an equal partner.  

  • Nathan offered to send releases out and Bob & Suzanne said they could review what is written, as should other Executive Comm. members.  

  • It was agreed to ask that Phil send his Press Release contact list to Nathan, Kevin & Anita.


Social Media report: (Nathan said that in the future, the sub committee (approved in letter C) would make this report)


List of press releases since the previous meeting - We issued a press releases to 20 media outlets and two national GP contacts advertising the upcoming State Meeting and the Akron Pride event that is happening the same day.  Kevin will contact Philena about getting the press release added to the state site.


Reports from other counties or statewide:

Nathan reported that Hamilton County has been active with candidate recruiting & parades and would like to have an event for Connie soon.   


Report back from Annual National Meeting - Anita, Philena, Connie & Don

Anita was elected to become a co-chair (1 of 7) but resigned because of who was not elected, the 3 African American candidates.  Her plan was that one of the 3 African Americans would be able to step up to take her place as a Co-chair. Other resignations followed but were not accepted and this issue has not actually been resolved yet.  


Connie put on the agenda a call for a Statement of solidarity with black caucus at Annual National Meeting.

Anita said that she would like to support diversity institutionally in the Green Party.  She expressed concern about asking other Co-Chairs to resign since that would leave people in power who she believes would make it difficult to reach the diversity goals.  This statement has not been written yet since we are still trying to decide exactly what it would say.  


6. Old Business: none


7. New Business -

National Peace Committee: Agreed that Don, Nathan & Logan be appointed & Stephen be the alternate from Ohio to this National Green Party Committee.  


Issue of which Ohio SOS petition we need to use for Central Committees

Currently using form 2-L  County Central Committee (needs at least 5 signatures of Green Party members)

Currently using form 2-K  State Central Committee (needs at least 5 signatures of Green Party members)


The non signature form is:  2-M for County Central Committee only (no petition) form.  Connie asked that we adopt the 2-M form for County Central Committee.  Joe asked that the County be allowed to choose between the 2-L & 2-M forms and have Suzanne send a letter to the SOS to clarify that either form can being used depending on the individual county’s preference.  Clarification: Each County Committee would need to decide for its whole county, not individuals in the county.  No objections being heard, the proposal as modified by Joe, was accepted.  


(It is likely that each county will have to tell their BOE’s which form their county will be using and it is also a strong suggestion that each county committee should make sure that their county BOE will accept the chosen form.)   


Note:  Only people who are already Green Party members may run for County Committee in the primary election, but persons who vote in the 2018 (or statewide primary) may be appointed to County or State Central Committee membership immediately following the Primary election by the State Committee.  Current law says that no one may be elected on a Primary ballot who is not already a member of that party.  The Primary election process does allow someone to run for the general election as a candidate from a party that they had not been previously a member of before that Primary election, it just does not allow someone who had not been a member of the party to be elected to an actual office in the Primary election.


Announcements:  Single Payer rallies coming up this month - September 17th


8.  Next meeting date  - In person Saturday, August 26, noon - 1:30.  

Location: Cuyahoga Falls Library,  on Saturday, August 26th.  Facility confirmed for 11:30 to 5:00 room booked.    12-1:30 central committee meeting  2:00 - 4:30 general meeting.  Location:  2015 3rd Street, Cuyahoga Falls Ohio.  


September meeting date:  September 9, 2017 is the 2nd Saturday, 10am.    


9. Adjourn:     1:30 pm



Notes from Saturday, July 8, 2017 10:00 am to noon Ohio Green Party Call - not considered in August meeting.


1. Attendance & Quorum  - 9 needed to have quorum for voting as of 5/6/17

District 2:  Present:  Anita Rios  Absent:  Alexandra Kendzierski, Monika Perry,  Joe DeMare

District 3:  Absent:  Logan Martinez, Tim Bruce

Districts 4: Present:  Gwen Marshall, Don Rucknagel, Dorsey Stebbins, Nathaniel Lane

District 6: Present:  Robert Fitrakis, Suzanne Patzer, Tekla Taylor-Lagway (checked in 11:05), Connie Gadell Newton

District 8:   Absent:  Jim Villani

District 9:  Present:  Stephen Caruso

District 11:   Phil Mohorich- resigned as of 7/7/17 by email  


Also added into Quorum as of 5/6/17 when officially formed & recognized

Black Caucus - Absent:  Philena Farley  <philena30@gmail.com>

Youth Caucus - present:  Samuel Richards  <ogpyouthcaucus@gmail.com>

Women’s Caucus

Lavender Caucus

Latinx Caucus

Disability Caucus


Kevin Fay - guest on the call:  from Summit County (currently a registered Democrat but will vote in the Green Party Primary in 2018) working with those interested in forming a new county committee  email address KevinMFay@hotmail.com


Also invited to participate to call but not counted towards quorum:

Jake Ellis,  Director of Party Development <jake.anthony.e91@gmail.com>

Becca Calhoun, Deputy Treasurer <beccacalhoun@att.net>


2. Minutes approval needed for June 10, 2017 - approved with no objections


3. Financial report   - Tekla Treasurer & Becca Calhoun Deputy Treasurer   

Tekla signed in at 11:05 AM - current balance $4,592.58 after outstanding check and deposits go through.  Also at the July meeting committed for $150 if requested for each of 5 people to travel to the Green Party U.S. Convention. Another $50 was committed for Facebook boost.  Also $200 was committed for a loan for downpayment for the venue for the Enter the Green Discussion of 2017 Green Party Annual Meeting in Newark, New Jersey, July 13-16.  (register at: https://store11450281.ecwid.com ) Ohio transportation & lodging logistics & list of who is planning to attend.  This is a $1000 commitment from the treasury.  Anyone who wants to accept the $150 to help defray the cost of travel to the National Green Party Convention should email Tekla (teklatl@gmail.com) indicating (1) that they wish to accept the $150 to help with cost of travel to the Convention and (2) send her their mailing address. Likewise, the person to whom the check for downpayment for the venue should be written should email Tekla with her/his mailing address.


At this meeting commitment was made for $150 if requested for another 2 people to travel to the Green Party U.S. Convention.  This makes a total of up to $1050 potentially committed for travel to that Convention.


4. Officer & Committee Chair Reports - if new information only


a)  Co-Chairs-  no report


b)  National Campaign Committee-


Official Ohio delegates are:  Don Rucknagel, Logan Martinez & Philena Farley and alternate:  Anita Rios & added at OHGP-CC June 2017 meeting:  Nathan Lane &  Jake Ellis.  Is there more that needs to be done to allocate the 3 votes Ohio has for this Convention?  Connie made a motion that “the voting members at the Convention be:  Don, Philena & Anita since they are attending the Convention.  We are still keeping the others as alternates for the Convention and Logan would return to being the official delegate after the convention.”  


At our June Meeting, “It was agreed, with no objections, that we would offer up to 5 people up to $150 each if they requested the subsidy and attend the Conference.”  Who wants to apply for this money?    

During the July meeting, we agreed to fund up to 7 people instead of just 5:  

Connie, Anita, Philena, Kevin Fay, Jake Ellis, Samuel, Don.


Tekla pointed out that, “Seven people at $150 would be $1,050.”  An email was sent to all of the above listed folks to tell them to Email their mailing address to both Connie cgadellnewton@gmail.com & Tekla teklatl@gmail.com to have the checks cut.


Nathan said that he may try to go but has not been able to confirm due to finances and work obligations.  Philena is driving a van from Columbus and can take riders to share expenses.  


c)  marijuana committee - no report    


4.  Candidate Reports:

Governor campaign- needs and update

  • I could use some help compiling information of Green supporters and sending them out a letter or email requesting donations, letting them know I am running, and asking for support.   I have a draft letter ready but need help sending it out.

  • I need Greens from around the State to be thinking about events I can attend, planning fundraisers and speaking events, and keeping me informed about things I should be attending around the State.   It would be great to have some mini-campaign teams working in different parts of the State on my campaign combined with local campaigns.

  • I would love it if someone else in the group would move to allocate funds for my campaign.  I have received about $1500 in donations so far and this money has gone towards T-shirts, campaign buttons, and flyers to hand out at events.  I would be using the funds to purchase more postcard flyers to hand out during events and canvassing, and to plan a simple fundraiser at a local bar or establishment.  

  • I plan to choose my running mate soon and meet up with him later in July to get the petitions ready by August.  It would be good to plan some canvassing events in August around the State to gather signatures.  

  • I am considering Brett Joseph to be my running mate, and I have sent his resume to the listserv. I met with him in person and I believe he will represent the party well.

  • Jake Ellis asked how to get list compiled at ComFest.  Connie said she will try to find out who has it.  


- List of 2017 Ohio Green Party endorsed candidates: (County Committee reps & working committee members, put in all names and useful information you currently have so you don’t have to add this during the meeting.)  


Hamilton County:

Jake Ellis

Devin Branch- East Cleveland, Mayor

Beverly Keeing Elwazani for Bowling Green City Council

Carolyn Kawecka for Bowling Green City Council


4th of July or other Parade &/or campaign reports:

Hamilton County Green Party and out-of-town participants in the Northside, Cincinnati 4th of July Parade - partial group picture taken after Parade.  


Stephen Dodge, State Rep Dist 26

April Kemp, State Rep Dist 96- 2017 candidate reports: - no other reports given


- List of 2018 Ohio Green Party potentially to be endorsed candidates: (County Committee reps & working committee members, should put in all names and useful information you currently have so you don’t have to add this during the meeting.)


Constance Gadell-Newton- Governor, with likely running mate Brett Joseph Lt. Gov.

Bob Fitrakis, tbd

Philena Farley tbd

Joe Manchik- US Rep Dist ___

Joe DeMare, State Senate

Bijan Nader Sharifi, US Rep Dist 3

Samuel Richards, State Rep Dist 18


Adam Hickey, US Rep Dist 14

Paul Curry, State Treasurer

Mark Gooding, State Rep Dist 65 (Clermont County) (Mark is currently a Democrat and will become a Green in 2018 in the Primary election)

Kirk Jordan State Rep

Shalom Keller, US Rep - Ohio 1st District


Reports from other State Central Committee Officers -  no new information reported


5.  Working committee reports: -

A.   Political Director - Joe - not on the call - emailed report:      Posted by: "Joe DeMare" electricity2@cs.com woodcountygreen   Date: Sat Jul 8, 2017

I apologize to the Committee for missing today's meeting.

A few corrections to the minutes: I am not planning to run for State Senate at this time. In addition to the 2017 candidates listed are Beverly Keeing Elwazani and Carolyn Kawecka, both running for Bowling Green City Council.


Political Director's Report 7/17

I created a video for candidates on petition gathering. I posted it on facebook, it's had 370 views. I would like to create a Ohio Green Party youtube channel. Unless there are objections, I'll do that this week.

Still working with Jake on thank you emails to the donors to our mass emailing, and a follow up email to the edited email list with the "Unsubscribes" removed. (NOTE TO CONNIE: I uploaded that edited email list to the list serv over a month ago, you should be able to find it in the emails from GPOH, contact me if you can't)

Marched in the Cincinnati Pride parade, and helped gather petition signatures for Kit Earles afterwards. Posted video on facebook.

Have been working with Julie and Adam Hickey on setting up campaign accounts, etc.

Have answered National Green Party requests for information on Ohio candidates for 2017.

We've started door to door canvassing for the BG City Council candidates. Passed out fliers at the 4th of July fireworks, and have almost completed website for Beverly.

Hope to have the statewide postcard mailing done this week. That will give all the registered Greens notice of the state wide meeting in August as well as appeal for funds.


B.   Director of Party Development - Jake Ellis

  • Adam Hickey and his partner are starting a party in Lake County, Mentor Ohio.   Jake is asking help from State Central Committee to promote their initial event.  


C.   Digital Media Coordinator - Website Volunteer Update - Philena - not on call


Proposal (Nathan) to select or appoint 5 volunteers to act as regional social media leads, similar to what we did in the Jill Stein campaign. These would be a social media subcommittee reporting to Philena.   Nathan proposed: Nathan, Kevin, Stephen, the other two to be chosen later.  Connie suggested that we table this proposal until Philena could be contacted on this.  Nathan is to contact Philena and check whether she’s okay with this.


D.  Policy Advisor  - also not a filled position, like what Bob has been doing with the Stein Campaign and said that he is able to do this sort of thing for Ohio as the Co-Chair.  He is doing this on an interim basis - no report not on call


E.   Volunteer Coordinator - Nathan Lane


F.   Press Secretary - Phil Mohorich - resigned by email on 7/7/17 and needs to be replaced both as the Press Secretary & the Social Media report:

First it was agreed that Phil would be very hard to replace since he had done such a great job:  

  • It was suggested that Nathan could at least give the Social Media report & he will talk to Philena about this as well as get needed information from Phil.  

  • Kevin Fay said that he could lead on the Press Releases and Anita volunteered to work on this as well as an equal partner.  

  • Nathan offered to send releases out and Bob & Suzanne said they could review what is written, as should other Executive Comm. members.  

  • It was agreed to ask that Phil send his Press Release contact list to Nathan, Kevin & Anita.


Tekla: Phil was a great press person.  Not only did he write excellent press releases, but he was extremely aware of Green Party values and extremely aware of what was happening politically throughout Ohio.  He will be very difficult to replace.


Reports from other counties or statewide: -  if new information only


6. Old Business:


1) Summer in person meeting:  Location: Cuyahoga Falls Library on Saturday, August 26th.  Facility confirmed for 11:30 to 5:00 room booked.

12-1:30 central committee meeting  2:30 - 4:30 general meeting.  

We would still use the Google Doc (Gwen & Connie will work on these notes along with anyone else who can help) & Phone call (Steven will set up recording as usual) and we would keep official notes for the noon to 1:30 portion of the meeting then there would be a break and potluck lunch, and then program for larger group from 2:30 - 4:30.  Notes would still be taken for the later meeting for information and planning purposes.  

The planning committee will be working on a more concrete agenda which they will report back to the listserve after the national convention.    


2) Appointments to Central Committee -  no new added


Update on County’s reporting to their BOE and to the GPO-CC secretary. Nothing new to report


7. New Business -


1) Ballot status:  Discussion on how and whether the Ohio Green Party could regain ballot status if it is lost in 2018 by failing to get 3% of the vote in the gubernatorial election in 2018.  Is it correct that then in order to get on the ballot in 2020 we would have to obtain at least 28,000 valid signatures, at least 500 in each of 44 counties?  If so, how many members of this committee believe that is doable?


Connie: If we do lose status then we would file a lawsuit.  Tekla: Who is going to file a lawsuit? Are you saying that we wouldn’t have to get 28,000 signatures in 2020 because we would win a lawsuit?


Connie: My plan is that if we didn’t get 3%, Bob and I would file a lawsuit.


Bob:  We should keep in perspective the way the Libertarians lost party status in the Watson decision.  Because of the way they crafted the law, it’s likely to hold up.  That is, the court did not see 3% as too high.  Thus legal strategy may not prevail because of the precedent of the Libertarians.  I think the figure for a new party is somewhere around 28,000 signatures, and we would probably have to get twice as many as that.  We’re in a precarious position.


Connie:  I want to reaffirm my commitment as a candidate and as the Chair of the Party in reaching those milestones and insuring that the party maintains status.


2)  Phil Mohorich resigned and so we did  appoint a Press Secretary Committee and we would still like to find someone to take his place on the central committee from his district

Resignation letter:  Stepping away  Posted by: "Phil M" pmohorich@gmail.com philmohorich

  Date: Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:16 pm ((PDT))

I have given it much thought and find that my enthusiasm for being actively involved is waning.  No particular reason, just not as excited as in years past.   I feel it would be unfair to the Party and the Central Committee to maintain my role at this time given my distinct lack of motivation.

I am hereby resigning my role as both Press Secretary and as a member of the Central Committee, effective immediately.

I feel the Party is on firm footing heading forward and think that the influx of new interest this year will be beneficial in the long term.    I just do not have it in me to continue as an active contributor.

I have enjoyed my time on the State CC and as Press Secretary and prior as Treasurer, but I am happy with my decision to step away.

Best of luck to all, especially Connie and the other candidates running.

I think the twitter account, which I currently administer could be handled easily by Philena should she want to take it over.

As soon as someone steps into the roles of twitter administrator and Press Secretary, I will email them the info needed, such as the press list and the twitter account info.

Thanks again for the opportunity to work with you all and best of luck now and in the future.

Phil Mohorich


3) Kenny Sanders (Green Party member in Summit County) has put up a fundraising page for Nina Turner for Governor.  It does not appear to comply with campaign finance law. How can the CC address this issue.   


https://www.facebook.com/events/248216709008187/?ref=br_rs  SEP23

Green Party For Nina Turner Rewards Ceremony

https://www.facebook.com/events/122322775041600/?ref=br_rs JUL8

Akron Green Party For Nina Turner

https://www.facebook.com/Ohio-Greens-For-Nina-Turner-1180166092106487/ Ohio Greens For Nina Turner

https://www.facebook.com/help/www/399224883474207 report intellectual property info on FB


Kevin (also of Summit County) said there is no organization, it is just him.  He is misrepresenting the Summit County Greens.


Stephen has reported the pages to Facebook as fake pages, doesn’t represent the Ohio Greens.


Connie- would recommend a cease and desist letter.  

Gwen- suggested this come from the Co-chairs.  Then we need to report him to the SOS or appropriate entity.  

Anita- supports letter and further action.  Anita will send him personal note letting him know this is not appropriate.  

Bob- If he does not have a PAC he may be violating the law.  She is not a candidate. He has first amendment rights to his opinions.  We do not want to be perceived as a bully or violating first amendment rights.  Best course may be to personally address it.  

Jake- be sensitive about it, Cynthia McKinney was a candidate in the past former Dem, He has been a Green for 10 years.

Tekla- Kenny is one of us; send him a friendly letter pointing out how campaign finance law might affect his website.  


Conclusion:  Co-chairs will send a letter (friendly) explaining what kinds of rules there are regarding campaign finance and this is why he should take this Facebook Page down for his own protection & the other above listed folks who volunteered to make personal contacts will do so as well.  


(Background History:  Summit County has been delayed in setting up an Official Green Party Central Committee member will need to know if they live in the 5th or 7th District.)

Central Committee because its most active members are still officially Democrats (ex Kevin Fay) and Kenny Sanders is the only actual registered Green Party member in the group trying to set up a Green Party Central Committee in Summit County.  In the future, when these Democrats can vote in the Green Party Primary and then be appointed to the County and State Committees right after the Primary election, each of those folks who want to become a State


Announcements:  - none


8.  Next meeting date  - Saturday, August 12th.  Usual time 10:00 AM and this meeting will cover final details for the August 26th.  


9. Adjourn:     12:09.